make something monday :: crocheted binky clip

A friend of mine was teasing me at the park last week that I might need to break down and get a binky clip for Josie because I have been bending over to pick hers up and clean it off like every thirty seconds now that she is much more verbal and into playing with it. I was inspired to create this super simple crochet version - aka the fastest little project ever!  Like a fifteen minute baby shower gift here folks and under five big ones too! If you don't crochet this would be the perfect first project to get you started! 
 All you need are some mitten or suspender clips a crochet chain about 18" long a crochet flower I used this easy tutorial HERE and a button.
 After you make an 18-20" row of chain stitches you want to fasten it off and then fold the long piece in half so that the two end tails are together. Tie an overhand knot or two to attach the chain to your mitten clip.
 Now to fasten the flower your going to want to bring one of the long tails from the chain piece through the center hole of the flower and then up through the shank of the button.
 Then bring the piece back through the center of the flower.
 Now turn the flower over and tie a few more tight overhand knots around the mitten clip and then snip off the excess yarn.
 That's it that's all there is to it. Josie likes the texture of the yarn too and has been playing with it all morning. I realize that this is a pretty "girl" looking binky clip but you could totally customize it for a boy. I was thinking of maybe making a crochet bow tie like this one HERE instead of the flower or a simple circle and button in blues instead of pink for those sweet boy babies out there. I know that my two binky loving boys would have loved something similar as well!
I have an epic long week ahead of me including a big party being planned for my soon to be FIVE year old - ack how did that happen again? A graduation and a quick trip to Portland for Grandpa's funeral as well as a busy Sunday at Church. Nice and full is how we like to roll but I promise to be in this space some too!

Hope your week is off to a great start my friends!

33 comments:

  1. between this and the teething necklace i'd say you've got a great little baby shower tutorial booklet in the making...so cute, it almost makes me want to give Wes his binky back ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the cutest binky clip ever!! Wish I had a baby now...lol Great shower gift idea. Are you going to sell them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks girls - @Jenny what a huge compliment coming from the crochet master thanks for your constant support and kindness :)

    @Laura - I was thinking about putting a few in my etsy shop actually..maybe by the end of the week if I get a chance. I think they would be a fun shower gift!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant! I have an overdue baby gift I need to make. This fits the bill.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Josie is soooo cute! I can't hardly stand it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is the cutest binky clip i've ever seen (and absolutely, without a doubt one of the cutest babies i've ever seen, too)! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely ADORE this! So cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its absolutely adorable! Love it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a lovely idea! I am excited to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sooo adorable, you are so creative!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it! Now if only I didn't fail crocheting 101. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE this! I've already asked my Nanny to make one for my youngest. Oh how I wish I could crochet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Soo cute! I need to think up a little boy version!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so lovely! I am trying it right now. Would you mind sharing where you purchased your buttons? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Lauren, I am excited your making one it's so instantly gratifying!!! I actually made the button using a vintage sheet and a button blank similar to how I made the button earrings in this tutorial http://rebekahgough.blogspot.com/2011/01/make-something-monday-fabric-button.html let me know if you need anymore help - have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much! I love your blog, I found you through this project pinned on Pinterest...I'm definitely subscribing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey, I found this through a google search and I LOVE it. Can you tell me how to fasten it off please? That's the only thing I haven't figured out yet.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just squealed!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So freaking adorable, I have boys but I am making one anyway!

    Have a wonderful holiday season!
    xoxo,
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  19. Adorable! Do you give permission to sell? (once I'm done making 100 for my little girl)
    -Marla

    ReplyDelete
  20. This may be my new go-to baby shower gift! Thank you so much for sharing! What a great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. where do u buy the clips (that attach to the clothes) ?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I made one for my new nephew and just made a simple bow instead of a flower - TOO ADORABLE! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this! Making some today!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I was doing the simple strap kind with fabric, but I love crochet and tiny fingers like the fun texture. This is so quick and easy, great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Troppo bello, e molto originale complimenti :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love this! I'm also going to have to think up a boy version of this

    ReplyDelete
  27. So cute! I'm inspired to start crocheting...

    ReplyDelete
  28. This binki could be dangerous for getting the cord wrapped around the child's neck. I would not recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love the idea, it is so cute. I am going to make for my niece's baby shower. So simple!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...