make something monday (on tuesday) :: patchwork pots


I spent some time yesterday switching up my hutch for spring - oh how I am still loving having it in the kitchen! I added this patchwork pot, a craft I did for Beautifully Rooted last year (I miss that site!) and realized that I had never shared the full tutorial in this space. I thought I would this week as my make something monday project - a fun and simple idea for all the fresh plants we are potting as the weather changes. Hope you are having a great week so far!



Lately I have been spending a little bit of time working on brightening up our front porch for the summer. I dug out a bunch of mismatched furniture and things from our garage including an old plant stand and instantly thought I needed to make some quirky and cheerful pots to fill it up. This project is super easy and was virtually free - one of the best kind of projects in my opinion!


Supplies:

terracotta pots
fabric scraps
spray adhesive and/or mod podge
scissors
trim


I started by cutting out several different two inch strips of fabric about four inches long. It all really depends on the size of your pots but it is easier to cut up a bunch of pieces roughly the same size first. 


Next one by one I used spray adhesive to stick the strips on one at a time. If you don't have any spray adhesive on hand I am sure mod podge would work just fine on this step too.


Once you have completed the bottom of the pot measure the circumference of the top edge
and cut another two inch strip long enough to go all the way around.
Apply the piece of fabric the same way that you did on the bottom half.


Once you covered the entire pot with fabric you are ready to seal it all with the mod podge.


A sponge brush makes it really easy to get a nice even coat all over the entire pot.


Let the pot dry for a bit and then if you want to you can go ahead and add on any extra trims with fabric glue. Plant your favorite flowers and brighten up a spot somewhere around your home to make you smile!!


20 comments:

  1. What an adorable idea! I have a pot I could do this to. I don't have fabric, but I bet I could use scrapbook paper.

    Jillian - http://epic-thread.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. too cute! I remember making these in elementary school! Such great memories! I'll have to go get some terracotta pots for this. thanks for sharing!
    http://photosbylmb.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this - I am doing it - thanks !

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely idea! I am totally doing these for the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. so cute!
    and i love your new design! :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always something lovely and fresh! Loving the new look of your site!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mom and I were just talking about this type of project! thank you for the inspiration! I'm sending this to her now!

    grace
    http://herumbrella.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is great ! I've been looking for something to make my own look!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh these are utterly adorable. It has been pinned. Which might mean it might happen (MAYBE) within the next decade. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. that's totally pretty!
    i love that patchwork look and the lacey detail!

    I linked to your tutorial on my blog - thanks for sharing!

    ♥, doro von Hand zu Hand

    ReplyDelete
  11. Are you using pot liners for the plants? How do you keep them from getting moldy when the terra cotta absorbs water from the potting soil?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Adorable...I even have a few pots in the garage right now. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are beautiful and make me want to buy a geranium so I have something to put in a cute pot on the porch! Thanks for sharing. I found you via Pinterest, but I'm going to be your newest follower!

    Krissy (http://hotcommodityhome.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh this is fabulous, i am so doing this, i have pot envy now! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a pretty pot! The fabric scraps you picked look so good together. I feel like making one, too, but I have one question: to take care of the plant we need to water it, doesn't the water spoil the fabric?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  16. I made one! :)
    And to anyone wondering: To prevent the moldy fabric issue, just leave the plant in it's original plastic container before you drop it in the fabric pot. (That's what I did)
    http://sarahharkinson.blogspot.com/2013/09/pretty-pots.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...