make something monday :: doily easter baskets


These have been on my crafting bucket list for quite awhile now. I have admired doily bowls seen around from time to time and bought some fabric stiffener to make some of my own but just hadn't found the right moment. And then one afternoon it occurred to me that if I added a branch or two I could transform a doily bowl into a sweet little Easter basket. These are by far one of my most favorite projects ever - so simple and delicate, I am pretty much in love!


Supplies:
  • Doilies - I used a mixture of thrifted and new 
  • Rit Dye (optional if you want colored baskets)
  • Fabric Stiffener such as Alenne's 
  • Saran Wrap
  • Bowls in different sizes to drape doilies
  • Twigs for the handles
  • Wire (optional to secure the twigs)
  • Glue (I used Fabritac)
  • Fabric scraps, ribbon, flowers and any other embellishments you might want

  1. First I chose to dye my doilies using Rit Dye - I simple added a few drops of the liquid dye to some hot water in bowls in my sink for only a few minutes. If you want soft colors be warned that a few drops go a long way! I then rinsed out the doilies until the water ran clear and let them dry on the counter for a few hours.
  2. Next cover your bowls with saran wrap - make sure you choose bowls that fit the doilies well.
  3. Using your fabric stiffener you want to coat each doily really well - it helps to have a separate bowl to use for this step. After the doily is covered with the stiffener, remove any excess and drape over a bowl. You want the doily to be even and centered onto the bowl - let the doilies sit overnight until dry and then remove and carefully peel of the saran wrap.
  4. To add the branch handle I used a little bit of wire to first fasten the branch to the doily. I didn't use the wire on all of the baskets in the end the glue was enough but if you want to you can use a little bit of wire to help hold the handle in place.
  5. Add some glue to secure the handle and use a clothespin to help hold it in place until it dries.
  6. I added some fabric scraps around the ends of each twig by weaving it through the holes in the doily just to cover up any glue or wire that was showing.
  7. Now glue on any extras you might want - fill the basket and enjoy!


I can hardly believe that Easter is less than two weeks away! Have you done any Easter decorating yet? I have a few other simple diy's up my sleeve for the Spring and have been so loving the added light in the evenings too...hoping for a bit more sunshine around these parts but the hope of what this next season holds is keeping me inspired!

Happy Monday! xoxo

11 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, these are lovely, Rebekah! My mom used to make doily baskets in the 80's, but these are much more dainty looking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am dying over these!!! I LOVE THEM!!! Super cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think these baskets are so sweet--and I just love how you style and photograph your projects, Rebekah! So, so good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. these are just too cute girlie! :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, these are so precious and sweet! Thanks for sharing! I am going to have to make some!! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  6. o my goodness. how adorable!

    grace
    http://herumbrella.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am on spring break. That means project time! I actually let out a little squeak when I saw this.

    These are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are SO adorable! I love the blue eggs and how delicate these baskets are! I couldn't believe you made them when I saw the blue one on your table, but I should know better by now. You always amaze me with your creativity and eye for seeing something no one else does.

    ReplyDelete
  9. these baskets are so sweet... love the little details... thanks for sharing the how-to...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Rebekah, I just wanted to tell you that I featured your doily Easter basket in my roundup of super clever Easter basket craft!

    http://www.craftsbycourtney.com/clever-diy-easter-basket-crafts/

    Your Easter basket was VERY creative!

    Thanks for the great craft idea,

    Courtney

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...