make something monday :: fabric covered photo mats


Just before Zeb was born and I was still in that mad nesting phase and trying to finish up little odds and ends around the house. My sweet friend Nikole had sent me the prettiest bundle of vintage fabrics from her shop Happy Notions which I just love! I really wanted to incorporate some of the patterns into our nursery decor.


Josie and Zeb will eventually be sharing a room and since I wasn't sure yet if we were having a boy or a girl I didn't want to go super crazy with the florals but thought a few touches would be really happy and bright.


I decided to try my hand at covering the photo mats for a few of the prints on the walls. I was shocked at just how easy it was and how fast it was as well. I am pretty hooked on making these now so I thought I would share my process with you in case you wanted to make a few too!


Supplies:

plain photo mat
fabric
spray glue
scissors


First lay your fabric out face side down. Give the front of the mat a good spray of glue and then lay it down on the fabric and press it making it as smooth as possible.


Trim the corners and the middle like I did above and use some more spray glue on the back.


Fold all of the fabric up and around the mat and smooth it out.


It's really that simple but is one of those little details that can make a big impact. I am now currently restraining myself from covering every single photo mat in the house. But seriously there are so many options with these I can help it!


Happy Monday everyone I hope you have a wonderful day today!!

*the beetle print is from Small Talk Studio and the you are my sunshine and turtle prints are both from the Wheatfield etsy shop. Vintage fabric from Happy Notions.

19 comments:

  1. Okay, I love this idea... I can't believe I have never thought of it! So cute!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So so very cute! I love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really pretty and cute idea.
    xo, Petra

    http://www.sweetsoflife86.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I noticed the beetle print in one of your posts (last week?) and was hoping you'd do a tutorial. So cute! I knew you'd make good use of those pretty fabrics. And thanks for mentioning the shop! Nicely done, as always. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are beautiful and simple! I did the same thing for Sky's room but I used some tea towels that were solid colors. I am such a fan of Katie's work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now if only I could print photos or buy frames...I'd be all over this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! I want to make some now, thanks for sharing how to make them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really wish you could come over and do crafts with me some afternoon! :) I can't seem to follow through with all the fun ideas...like you do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those matts are very cute, so colorful yet easy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea. I'm adding this to my project list for sure. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are right. These are so happy and cheerful! I especially like what it adds to the prints with plain white backgrounds.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely love these! So cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this! I know what I'm doing for the DIY christmas list. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for posting this tutorial. I just went out to buy some colored matting and they didn't have the color I wanted so this post came just in time! I love this idea so much more. What a great way to cheer up a room and not take up any more space! Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aaah! I have had a nice big frame with an odd-colored mat for a few years and I couldn't ever find the right spot for it in the house. This is the perfect solution! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looking at these mats made me instantly happy. What a great idea to add some extra color to a print frame. I cannot wait try this out with a few prints that are looking a little tired in my daughters rooms. Thanks for sharing this awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...