missing mojo + norwegian apple cake

 
I lost my mojo somewhere between here and the other side of town. Its kind of bugging me too but what on earth can you do when your mojo abandons you? Not a whole lot. 

To make matters worse I had a pretty traumatic trip to the fabric store yesterday while in search of said missing mojo and let me tell you, that did NOT help. It was mostly a lot of me being exhausted and scattered coupled with an over tired baby who somehow ate my fabric ticket and two wild boys rough housing in the Halloween aisle...the saleswoman yelled at me and made me search for the ticket. I cried. We went home and I threw the bag of crafting supplies down on the counter and I haven't really felt like touching it. 

Truthfully though I just hate those weeks where no matter how much effort I put into creating it just doesn't happen. Nothing excites me or inspires me. We are hosting a birthday Halloween party next week and I don't even have the energy to decorate...oh mojo where are you? 


Katie sent me a text earlier asking for my Norwegian apple cake recipe (hi Katie :)) so I thought I would share that with you guys tonight since it is super yummy and I haven't ever posted it before. And it seemed like just the ticket to get me feeling a bit more inspired to create. 


I usually make this in an 8" round tin but last time experimented and made mini ones with my muffin tin and since everything is yummier in miniature form they turned out pretty great too! Either way this cake is so delicious, a mix between a cake and a pastry. It's the perfect treat for brunch or dessert. 

Norwegian Apple Cake:
(fairly certain this recipe is originally from all buttoned up years and years ago!) 

Sift together:
1 cup plus 2 Tb flour
1t baking powder
1/2 t salt
3/4 cup sugar

Cut in a 1/2 cup margarine or butter It will look crumbly like pastry dough.
Beat one egg and spread over mixture stirring it up lightly it will still look crumbly though.

Separately, mix together:
2 apples peeled and grated
3 Tb sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

Spread half of the dough out into a greased, 8" round cake tin.  Pat into place gently (a few holes are ok).  Spread apples out on top.  Spoon remaining dough over top of that evenly there will be a few holes
  
Bake at 375 for 45-50 min.  Let cool in the pan, and gently turn out. 

Serve with an icing of powdered sugar, vanilla and water. Drizzle over the top or alternately with a sprinkling of powdered sugar or dollop of whipped cream. 


All right I am off to continue hunting for my mojo. Tell me, what do you do when creativity wains, any sure fast secrets or tips to getting inspired again? I would love any and all advice!! 

19 comments:

  1. Can't hold the mojo back for long, but I say you get an award just for staying upright.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipe rebekah! Can't wait to make it. Hang in there, and maybe stay away from that fabric store for a few more days :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think you can take this holiday off...at least from the pressure of doing something creative...you deserve a rest. perhaps this is just a fallow season and even more fruit will be born in a bit!

    and i have a fun idea to get your juices going (at least I think so) so i'll talk to you about it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. aww, your experience in the fabric store would make me cry too. We have several crabby ladies at our fabric places and i always wish they'd have a little more patience for young moms with kids who are ALSO trying to be creative on top of it all! :)
    as far as getting your mojo back? :) i think you need sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a really cranky fabric store lady the other day too - at the Joann's in Shoreline. Its sad when that happens because crafty fabric stores are supposed to be our safe havens. The cake looks delicious, though - when in doubt, find your mojo in food :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry about the mean fabric ladies! It reminded me of the time we went to that small town farmer's market and that cranky old lady thought we were going to steal something (jam?) because one of our (mine?) purses was unzipped. :)

    Don't worry the mojo will come back. I have been reading a book that Alisha let me borrow about creativity (Steven Pressfield's Do the Work!) and came across this quote: "Fear doesn't go away. The warrior and the artist live by the same code of necessity, which dictates that the battle must be fought anew every day."

    I love that about you...you keep fighting...some days it is with an apple cake and getting out of bed to face a new day. Don't give up! You are loved. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What it is about crabby fabric store ladies?! I'm taking a beginner's sewing class, and went to get the supplies the other day--the lady made me feel like a complete moron, barking at me left and right all that I was doing wrong in my selections. And I was by myself!

    Hang in there Rebekah. Your mojo will return--and as far as party planning, sometimes sweet and simple is the most fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've felt like I've been missing my mojo lately, too. I want to be motivated, but I just don't care. Perhaps it can be blamed on traveling nearly all month? It's always good to know that I'm not alone in it. Hoping we both find it soon--maybe this apple cake will be the ticket for me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you get your mojo back! Mine has been missing this week as well - deep breaths and a big cuppa kona coffee is helping ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh man! I hope that mojo comes running back. :) I feel you...it seems like almost every trip to the craft store lately has resulted in mass chaos over here too. I hope you get a nice relaxing day today and find that darn mojo :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hang in there girl! I have just recently discovered your wonderful blog and more than once you have helped me get my mojo back.
    Don't worry, you'll get it back :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rebekah-- I am pretty sure that even when it is "missing", you have more mojo in your pinky finger than most of us has in our whole body! =) That apple cake looks amazing--thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. When mine goes away it usually means I am sleep deprived, beauty deprived, I need time alone or a good long run. I am guessing you are exhausted! Be gentle with yourself - I am regularly amazed (amazed!) at all you are juggling and how lovely it all still grows under your touch.

    ReplyDelete
  14. When I have misplaced my mojo, I turn on lots of fun music and stop looking for it. Once I start moving around and having fun, my mojo slowly starts to reappear where I least expect it. So I guess my best advice is not to force it ... give yourself and your mojo some grace AND have a little dance party in the meantime. The kids will probably love it too, or at least you will all have a good laugh.

    And thank you for your blog. I look forward to it and it always makes me smile or inspires me in some fun way!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks like a very yummy recipe - I feel mojo loss lately too...which is weird because it's been sunny up here in Seattle and not gray. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. My two rowdy boys got grumped at in a fabric store just yesterday, too! I'm not all that familiar with fabric stores - only our second time there in 5 years - but I think that happened the last time I was there as well.

    You are doing great in the midst of so much transition ...

    ReplyDelete
  17. yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. this looks so good. as you can see in my overuse of 'm's. lol.
    make sure to come over and check out the giveaway i have going on, i'm sure you'll love it. :)

    love, rach.
    www.so--hi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I seem to be going through much of the same thing these days. I hate feeling like I'm in a slump. But you're right, baking may just be the key! Time to find myself in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...