Sponsor Spotlight


Today I have the pleasure of introducing you to Kayla Aimee. KA is the beautiful wife of Jeff and mother of a little miracle named Scarlette. Born fifteen weeks early Scarlette spent the first 5.5 months of her life in the NICU. KA is an incredible SAHM who has an infectious way of writing about her life on her blog and as you can imagine a passion for preemies and micro preemies.

Today Kayla Aimee is here to share a special + sweet way to dress up a preemie shirt while following some strict hospital restrictions...and shes sharing pictures of her sweetie pie too :)

I am super honored to have Kayla Aimee as my feature sponsor this month her blog and life is a blessing and testimony of Gods goodness and grace, you must check it out I know you will love it!

Now here's KA:


This little project is a quick, easy and inexpensive way to pretty up some basic baby clothes. My daughter, Scarlette, spent the first 5.5 months of her life in the NICU. While in there, we were really limited on clothing options for her. Not just because she was an itty bitty little thing but because the hospital had pretty strict standards about what we could put on her. The most important requirement was that her shirts snapped open in the front for easy access to all of the electrodes/wires attached to her chest.

So Scarlette spent a lot of time in simple, snap open tops like these. The thing is, they aren't the cutest shirts in the world. So I decided to dress them up a bit.

All you need for this project is a baby shirt, some assorted ribbon and some needle and thread.



Pick out two pieces of ribbon. Open the front flap of the shirt and stitch one piece of ribbon to the inside. I used lace for this part. Then layer the other piece of ribbon on the outside of of the front flap and stitch it down as well. I sort of bunched the ribbon as I went to give it a ruffled look.

I am not a huge fan of the snaps being visible so I decided to cover them up with rosettes. To make the flower ribbon rosette, cut a small fabric circle for your backing and cover with fabric glue. Pin one end of the ribbon to the center of the circle. Spiral the ribbon around the center, twisting it as you go. Twist the ribbon a bit more loosely on the last few spirals to create a fuller, flowery effect. Let dry and then secure with a few stitches to the bottom and sides of the rosette!



And that's it! It's a ten minute or less project.


Scarlette is ten months old now and happily at home so we can dress her in whatever we like. But I still make her a few of these cute shirts from time to time because she looks so darn sweet in them. Am I right or am I right? (Answer: I am totally right. My baby is stinkin' cute.)

Your local NICU is most likely always looking for preemie clothing and hat donations. A few of these shirts would probably brighten some parent's day so if you're thinking of making some, consider creating a couple preemie sized ones to drop off at your local hospital. Trust me, when your little one lives in what amounts to a cubicle with very few personal effects, seeing them dressed in cute clothes is not only fun, but provides a much needed sense of normalcy.

A twenty-something not-so-newlywed and southern girl through and through, Kayla Aimee (you can call her KA) likes scrapbooking, Macy's at Christmas time, and really good fitting jeans. By day she is a stay at home mom but by night she is a blogger, deal finder and kick arse ping pong player. You can read more about Scarlette's story on her blog at http://kaylaaimee.com

2 comments:

  1. So cute!! I love that. My best friend had her son at 26 weeks and we always talked about how cute preemie clothes are hard to come by. :) I can't wait to check out KA's blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. so great-love these:) too bad i can't find those cute side snap shirts for big girls! i will def make these as gifts.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...